Monday, April 13, 2009

Camping and Yabusame


This past weekend was a Yamaguchi AJET organized event - camping! We stayed in Mongolian huts at this camp ground in the north eastern part of Yamaguchi Prefecture (near Shimane prefecture). It was a lot of fun. There were around 50 people - Yamaguchi JETs, Shimane JETs, a few marines from the base in Iwakuni, and a handful of other people. All we did was eat, drink, and hang out the entire night. The weather was great, too! The next day we made our way about 20 minutes east by car to Shimane Prefecture. We went there to see Yabusame which is traditional horesback archery. It was pretty cool. I think I take the mountains and beauty of Yamaguchi for granted sometimes. I really love Japan's landscape. It's a pretty country.


Created with Admarket's flickrSLiDR.

Last week was a really good week. There are quite a few changes that have been made at all of my schools for the new school year - and I'm really happy with the changes. Friday night I went to my base school's welcome/goodbye party (enkai). It was a really good time! A few new teachers were there and the teachers who had been moved to new schools were there to say goodbye. Among the 12 or so new teachers at my base school are 2 young female teachers. One is 24 and the other one is 25. They aren't English teachers, but their desks are basically next to mine and they are eager to practice English. Finally. Somebody to talk to at work! That change alone makes a HUGE difference. Besides that, I'm pretty happy with the classes I've taught so far. I feel a lot more confident in my teaching and so far this school year I really enjoy going to work. I enjoyed it before, but knowing how things work and not being the new person anymore makes a huge difference. It's nice. I really like it. It will be hard to leave at the end of summer.

No comments: