Sunday, February 22, 2009

50th Ube Unesco English Speech Competition - Judge

I was a judge for the 50th Unesco English Speech Competition at Kosui Hall, Tokiwa Park here in Ube all day Saturday. I wasn't looking forward to it... at all... but it wasn't that bad. It was a beautiful day outside, too. I had 2 students competing in the afternoon (Sr. High), but they didn't place in the top 10. I think they were both disappointed, but actually they both did a really great job and I was really proud of them. It was a little awkward that I had to be the judge since I had students competing. I looked over the overall scores and found that even if I had given them both perfects they still wouldn't have placed in the top 10... close, but not in the top 10... and that made me feel better because I was afraid I might have subconsciously judged them too harshly. If I remember correctly they placed 15th and 16th. That was out of 26. They didn't mess up and tried their best... that's really all that matters.

Here's a picture Meng took. Two of her students placed in the top 10 for Sr. High. This is a picture of the top 10 Sr. High students with the judges and officials standing behind them... can you pick me out?!



Meng and I met Saranne near Ube Shinkawa for dinner afterwards and the restaurant we went to was really good! I finally made it home around 9pm. I was pretty exhausted considering I'd left my place at 7:15am. I was dreading judging this speech contest for a few weeks... but it turned out to be a nice day. It's weird how things turn out like that sometimes.

No comments: