Tuesday, January 20, 2009

It's Official

Walking with my supervisor on the way to the 1st class of the day this morning:

supervisor: so have you decided if you're re-contracting yet?
me: yes, I've decided.
supervisor: ... so are you...
me: ... ... no ... ...

Signed the paper this morning. My contract ends July 27th... and then I'm not sure what I'll do after that... but I've got 6 months to figure it out.


Part of me feels kind of stupid (especially in times where the economy sucks) for giving up a guaranteed job that:

A. pays well- and it's completely, 100% tax free
B. has excellent benefits- basically 100% insurance coverage (only in Japan) plus a pension plan... and I'll get my pension when I'm done working in Japan
C. allows me plenty of vacation time to travel- 15 days plus holidays... and there are many holidays.

plus other benefits not listed above.


I don't have too much to complain about here:
My city is alright - not much to do here, though... and not many people my age.

I don't want to be a teacher. Yes, I wanted to come here and teach English for the experience... and overall I have enjoyed that experience - and everything else that comes along with living in a foreign country. I wanted to live in Japan for at least a year and that's what I'll have done by the end of my contract.


I like it here for the most part... but I don't see myself happy if I stay here for a second year... so I'm not going to. I'd like to start working towards a career and like I said above... teaching is not what I have in mind. Simple as that.

I'm excited for the next 6 months... and I'm excited to see what comes after that!

No comments: