Monday, December 8, 2008

Ube General Support School

Since it's exam time and I don't have any classes to teach at my 3 regular high schools I have been teaching at my 4th school - Ube General Support School. It's a school for kids with special needs. It's the largest general support school in Yamaguchi Prefecture with 200 students ranging from elementary to high school. I basically get to play games with the students all day... and sing songs... and the time I've spent there has been some of the best times I've had in Japan since I got here at the end of July. The school is really good and I think the student-teacher ratio is somewhere around 1 teacher to 2 students. It's a really great environment and working with these kids and teachers has been pretty rewarding. Last Thursday I was with the high schoolers, today I was with the middle schoolers, and tomorrow I'll be with the elementary kids. Wednesday I'm back to my usual schedule at my usual schools. I'll probably only get to go to the general support school during exam times... so the next round of exams will most likely be in the spring.

Anyway, I've had a really good experience working at the general support school and I think my time there will help me make the most of my time when I get back to my usual high schools beginning on Wednesday.

: )

No comments: