Wednesday, July 2, 2008

What's this all about?

Welcome to my blog! Basically, I created this blog to write about my time and experiences in Japan - mostly as a way for family and friends to read about what all I've been up to as an ALT on the JET Program (beginning July 27th, 2008).

As of right now, I'm still in the US - getting ready for the big move to Japan. This is what I know so far:

I've been hired by the Yamaguchi Prefecture Board of Education and assigned to Ube Nishi Senior High School, located in Ube City, Yamaguchi Prefecture. Besides Ube Nishi High, I will be teaching at two other senior high schools in Ube on a regular basis.

I have a departure orientation in Chicago July 25th and the plane leaves for Japan July 26th. Once in Japan, there will be about 3 days spent in Tokyo for orientation and then all the JETs will be sent to their home cities - this being Ube City for me!

My school is in the process of finding an apartment for me in Ube. All I know right now is that upon arrival to my apartment, I will be provided with a TV, kerosene heater, washing machine, refridgerator, vacuum cleaner, and bicycle.

The month of August will include visits around the city, a prefectural orientation, probably some time spent at school, and I'm not really sure what else. My first payday is August 21st and classes start September 1st!

That's about all I've got right now.

Future entries could be anything from facts about Japan, experiences in Japan, my own personal thoughts, or anything else I feel like putting down.

Feel free to leave comments along the way!

Yamaguchi Prefecture is highlighted in red:

No comments: